Author Topic: Looking for a Trailer! Need Help/Advice  (Read 673 times)

Offline Carpenra

• Paid Member
Looking for a Trailer! Need Help/Advice
« on: May 21, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »
Hey everyone,
I recently ordered a Jackson Kraken 15.5 and realized afterwards that I do not have a good method of transporting it.  I currently have a Jackson Big Tuna, and I have a short bed Toyota Tacoma.  What I have been doing, is using a truck bed extender in order to handle the 14 foot Big Tuna, however, I hate the way it wiggles back and forth as I drive.  My fiance has a wilderness systems pungo, and I feel like I need a trailer to bring both the Pungo (or the Big Tuna) and the Kraken anywhere I go.  I've looked at some of the malone, as well as yakima trailers, but my biggest concern is the length of the Kraken (15'7") will be too much for a normal kayak trailer.  Any advice on what trailer I should get?  Any help would be appreciated, I pick the kayak up this week  :D

-Ridge-

Offline cholbach

Re: Looking for a Trailer! Need Help/Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:57:02 AM »
I have the Cuda 14. I have gotten tired of lifting it on top of my SUV. My solution wad to get a used jet ski trailer. I used electrical u-channel for cross rails then mounted 10' electrical conduit (3"). Kayak just slides on and off with ease now and it makes getting on and off the water so much quicker! A jet ski trailer will probably be too short for you, but I would look for a small boat trailer. You can usually pick them up for around $300 or less. Just keep an eye on craigslist.

Offline johng

• Paid Member
  • "Have yak will travel"
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »
sent pm
Keep Calm Keep Casting KCKC

Offline Airfrm

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:57:05 PM »
Yes I agree, a used jet ski trailer works very well.  I have three kayaks For me and the family.  I had a 5X8 utility trailer that I used, but moved over to my jet ski trailer.  Much easier to load and once setup, works like a charm. 

Offline Brian

• Paid Member
  • formerly known as becoyote
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 09:29:08 AM »
At 15' probably a boat trailer. Most jet skis are 10-11'.  Boat trailers are probably also more plentiful and cheaper.

Offline webranger56

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »
You might want to consider a harbor freight trailer..They have one for $250..needs to be assembled.. 4'x8' foldable super duty trailer.. Check out the youtube videos..there are numerous videos showing people that purposed them to carry kayaks...

* Recent Posts

Re: Gobble Gobble by GlendaKD
[Today at 01:44:25 AM]

Re: Gobble Gobble by Frankie J
[Yesterday at 11:54:25 PM]

Re: Rudee 11/24 - Leftovers... by Hash78
[Yesterday at 11:41:08 PM]

Rudee 11/24 - Leftovers... by ARACHNIDS
[Yesterday at 07:43:20 PM]

Re: Gobble Gobble by neofite
[Yesterday at 06:41:45 PM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?