Author Topic: Rookie- Rudee Report  (Read 739 times)

Offline Lastsaint21

Rookie- Rudee Report
« on: March 10, 2018, 05:38:09 PM »
I finally got out for the first time this morning. I donít catch anything but I have zero skills, it was a lot of fun though. I didnít see anyone else catch anything either. I meet a few at the ramp and they got skunked as well.
I do have a couple of questions. Everything went pretty smooth for the first time but the scupper cart. It wasnít easy to get out or to put back in. Do most of you when getting out, put the scupper cart back in while the kayak is in the water? If anyone would have saw me trying to get that thing back in there they would have laughed for days...The kayak came with a hook4. I donít much about it but I was able to use it as a depth finder and to check water temp. I felt it was hard to see most of the time. I am not sure if it was the size of the screen or just the nature of the screen. I know sometimes my phone is hard to see in the wrong light. I guess my question is will a bigger one really help? Will bigger help enough to justify the cost I guess is my question.
If anyone is wondering, most of the water temps I went across was 45 degrees, I did find one spot, across from the aquarium that was 46 degrees.

Offline neofite

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
Re: Rookie- Rudee Report
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
Regarding the finder.  I recently installed a Lowrance elite 4 HDi.   Spending a lot of time and research trying to figure it out.   Getting there, but it takes time and experimentation.   

I don't use a cart.

Offline webranger56

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:37:08 PM »
I just recently installed the hook 4 on my kayak..I can see it fine but I am trying to figure out how to use it and how to tell what are fish.. As far as the cart goes I lean my kayak on its side to install and remove it... People were catching drums on Tuesday and Thursday but I had no luck...

Offline yakfish757

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:55:53 PM »
I've got an elite 7ti and I keep it on high chirp sonar.  The only reason I caught that pup was because I marked him and got him to bite.  I marked him with other fish that happened to be striper and we got a few of them to bite.

You can test your setup by peddling along the aquarium and you'll see a ton of fish, which are mostly striper (based on experience), but it's really tough to get them to bite.  I did manage to convince one to bite on Friday.  I attached a pic of the fish arches from Friday. The thicker the arch, the bigger the fish.  Long arches mean they are moving by.  Watch out, there are a bunch of gizzard shad around too that you may mark. Also, if you are fishing sinking mirrolures (52m, TT), you'll know how long you need to countdown to put the lure in their face.

Tight lines!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:09:11 PM by yakfish757 (ARACHNIDS) »

Offline webranger56

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:36:59 AM »
Thanks for the info... I'll be playing with it a few days next week... After I figure out what are fish, then I will need to figure out where they are in respect to my kayak...Right,left or under ? Ha !! Owners manual doesn't seem to explain it that well..

Offline neofite

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »
Tutorials on the interwebs helped me a lot with my understanding of the unit.   Give those a try, sure you can find a bunch of videos on the U tubes.

Offline Lastsaint21

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
Thanks for the info! I did go on YouTube and found some things that will help.

Offline webranger56

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »
I have watched numerous videos and I swear sometimes I am more confused !!The nice thing is that there are some great kayakers willing to give some in the water tutorials !! Ha !! I will probably be out at Rudee on Tuesday,Thursday and Friday morning playing with it...If anyone else it out give me a holler..I will be in the red rev 13..

Offline FlyingAnchor

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
FWIW, I have a Hook 4 and it is a great little unit. Using CHIRP I can usually discern between different types of fish, and the downscan mode is awesome for fishing structure around the CBBT.

I was going to offer up some other advice here, but it kind of got out of hand, so I threw it up on the Tools and Techniques section of the forum. Hope it helps!

Offline Lastsaint21

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »
I will slip over and read that FlyingAnchor! Thank You!

Offline rwh

• Paid Member
  • U.S. Army Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »
This site has some good educational articles on Lowrance and Humminbird Sonar:
https://doctorsonar.com/blogs/educational-articles/tagged/lowrance-sonar

FlyingAnchor, that is really good info in your other post.  Very well put.

When I first started learning how to use my Hook 4, it pretty much stayed on High Chirp, but I have found that using 200 KHZ in certain situations, like shallower than 15 ft of water will sometimes show better returns.  Play around with that in an area that you are familiar with and where you pretty much know what type of fish are hanging around and you'll learn to tweak it to suit your conditions. Also, realize that a lot of the information you read online and in the manual about settings like ping speed and sensitivity is more tuned for boats that are going at faster speeds.  You may need to adjust them since you move slower in a kayak.  I like my ping speed set to Normal.
2013 WS Ride 135 sand
2015 WS Ride 115 mango

Offline webranger56

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 09:55:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice about the fish finders...

* Recent Posts

Re: Lynhaven or rudee??? by Varthr
[Today at 07:45:16 AM]

Re: Bank fishing by GlendaKD
[Yesterday at 10:37:44 PM]

Lost rod and reel lynhavaen inlet by Varthr
[Yesterday at 10:35:02 PM]

Re: Bank fishing by splatter96
[Yesterday at 08:23:27 PM]

Re: Charity Tournament Registration is now open! by AmyAngel
[Yesterday at 07:57:07 PM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.