Author Topic: Upper Back Bay  (Read 357 times)

Offline neofite

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
Upper Back Bay
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:10:38 PM »
Fished the upper Back Bay from 5:30 - 7:45.   Catfish were a pain in the bum, caught five channels (biggest about three lbs) on everything I was throwing.   XTS, Beetlespin, ,  and Prank seemed to be on the catfish dinner menu.   While not being bothered by the cats, the super small White Perch were grabbing everything.   A few Crappie and two dink bass to 14 inches fell into the mix near dark, but they were very tight to shore.  Gar were everywhere!

I like to call the micro White Perch "no reel ems" when they are caught on the trolled beetlespin.    Always thought, if I just let them swim around a bit before reeling them in, maybe something bigger will inhale them.  Hasn't happened yet, but I will let them linger for a few min.  One can only hope....

Offline Brian

• Paid Member
  • formerly known as becoyote
Re: Upper Back Bay
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »
Unrelated question but how deep is the water around there?  Can I put my small boat in at Mill Landing and navigate around up to the northern part of the bay?

Thanks!

Offline neofite

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 09:33:56 PM »
Not sure where "Mill Landing" is?   I have seen folks launch john boats at "Lovitts" off muddy creek rd.  There is always the Ramp option at the end of muddy creek to access Nanny's creek and back bay.   Off Sandbridge rd, you "may" be able to launch at Hells Point Creek, but that could be tough.   

Water depth in upper back bay varies.  I have seen "big" bass boats way up in Ashville Bridge Creek and Hells Point Creek, but I don't know where they launch from? 

Offline rwh

• Paid Member
  • U.S. Army Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:59:58 PM »
2013 WS Ride 135 sand
2015 WS Ride 115 mango

Offline neofite

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:25:19 AM »
Unrelated question but how deep is the water around there?  Can I put my small boat in at Mill Landing and navigate around up to the northern part of the bay?

Thanks!

Ah yes, Mill Landing.  Decent ramp and plenty of parking.   I forgot the name of that rd.  Can be tricky if the "gauge" is low or very high.   On maps, it is "Nawneys Creek" where I like to fish sometimes.

There is also a ramp at Princess Anne Wildlife Management area at the end of Morris Neck Rd just south of Creeds. 

Offline Brian

• Paid Member
  • formerly known as becoyote
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
Thanks!

* Recent Posts

Can't find em by neofite
[Yesterday at 08:39:17 PM]

Re: A Flounder by FlyingAnchor
[Yesterday at 03:12:05 PM]

Re: Rare morning trip by Bill Hutt
[Yesterday at 01:46:24 PM]

Re: Rare morning trip by neofite
[Yesterday at 01:37:22 PM]

Re: Rare morning trip by Bill Hutt
[Yesterday at 01:34:05 PM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.