Author Topic: Important Changes to the Club!! Please read!  (Read 1012 times)

Offline AmyAngel

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
Important Changes to the Club!! Please read!
« on: January 27, 2019, 09:25:41 AM »
The TKAA Board of Directors that attended the meeting yesterday moved to make a major change to the club.

We no longer be a paid membership club.
Effective immediately we will no longer accept payments for new members. For the memberships that extended beyond 2020 we will refund a prorated amount or we will have other arrangements made on a case by case basis. We will be emailing these members individually.
ē   With no new membership fees coming in, the group discussed alternate sources of funding for the club.  The suggestion for additional tournaments was discussed to help fund the clubís administration costs.
   Small monthly paid Tournaments 80/20 events
   Large Paid Tournament 80/20 events QTY

We will maintain the website through 2019 but as of 2020 it will shut down. TKAA will be run out of the FB business page and the TKAA closed group FB page. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1484917078305718/)
Plans will be made to archive the data off the server and migrate the content to the closed FB site. We will advise all the current paid members of the FB website and the plan for the migration to FB by EOY 2019 ASAP.
Please be on the lookout for announcements on these exciting changes!

Hope to see you out on the water!
Amy - Club President
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:00:31 PM by Gatman »
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Bonafide SS107
TKAA Club President
2018 Charity Tournament Director of Marketing
Licensed Realtor in Virginia

Offline Off_The_Hook

• Paid Member
Re: Important Changes to the Club!! Please read!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »
I understand from the posts with low participation this probably is a good move however as someone who never had or never will have a facebook account I guess I will no longer have a place to post reports or get reports next year.

Most other local fishing boards have gone this way as well.
At least we have one more year!!

Tight Lines
Todd

PA 14

Offline Rc109a

• Administrator
  • Do stupid things, win stupid prizes...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »
The decision was not made lightly.  We on the BOD really want to do what is best for the club.  Most of us dedicate a lot of time making sure events go off, people are kept updated and the machine behind TKAA keeps running.  We feel that this is in the best interest of the club and hope that all of you will not only help us with this transition, but come out and support it.  I know this club is the main reason I got into kayak fishing and I do not want to see it go away. 

Unfortunately, I feel that we are doing a disservice by not providing an updated website in a timely fashion.  No one on the board really has any website experience and this part of the club is falling into disrepair.  It is usable, but not where it should be in the way of function or fashion.  Paid membership status is showing very little in return for members investment.  There should be some perks that are obtainable other then a free meal at the end of the year or a private section.  Different ideas were floated around, but in the end it just isolated members from each other.  The communications that took place behind those closed doors was limited and did not produce any tangible benefits to members or the club in  general.  I always ask myself this question "What is the benefit of paid membership status"? The answers that I received did not justify the costs.

We are trying to find events and functions that we can still get members to participate in.  Suggestions and recommendations are highly encouraged.  We have several online events planned as well as the spring and fall tournaments.  We would still like to perform other member events where we can gather and exchange information (such as seminars, clean-ups, etc), but unfortunately it has become the same members over and over with little increase in participation.

So by eliminating the paid membership we are hoping that the list of active members may increase and that others will be willing to come out and support various functions.  Ideas are really needed to help this process grow.  While some may not like social media sites such as Facebook, it is a very good tool to use if it is moderated correctly.

I know this was a long rant and I hope all of you can understand that we are not trying to end this club, but open up the room for expansion.  We need your ideas and comments, but most of all we need your support.  Help us make this organization better, not by criticism, but constructive suggestions and ideas.  Thanks...Ron
TKAA Membership

Offline GlendaKD

• Paid Member
  • BIC SUP Ambassador -Team Pink Fishing Pro Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »
I know you are all trying to do the best for the club but I feel it would be better to just donate all the club monies to HOW and Healing Waters and move on. This is just going to full of YouTube links now. We have 7 Cities on FB. Sorry to see the club is phasing out. I know you guys did your best.

Offline Bill Hutt

• Paid Member
  • Yak Bassin!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:52:43 PM »
Didn't know where the best place to post this query, but here is where I'm putting it.  Thinking of warmer days ahead (too cold for me to do anything fishing worthy right now) - Is there going to be a date set aside for interested TKAA folks who want to have another shad event up Richmond way this spring? Last year we did it in April. TKAA folks could get together, fish for shad and enjoy another club related event. At the very least, I plan to go and bring a few friends.

Hoping to hear what the masses think. Enjoy the current cold spell.....

Keep castin!
Bill Hutt "Jabba"
Hobie PA12
Native Ultimate 14.5
Native Manta Ray 11

Offline Lifelover

• Paid Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »
....ask myself this question "What is the benefit of paid membership status"? The answers that I received did not justify the costs.....

With the forum participation super low I have been asking myself this question since I joined for the first time last summer.

It is truly a shame but I appreciate the consideration of the BOD.

I think 7 cities got the jump on the FB page and I question if the TKAA open page will ever draw any real traffic.

Whatever is to come, I hope to have a place to share stories and pictures.  It does wonders in keeping me interested in times where getting on the water is tough.   

See you on the water.

Greg
Lovin Life!

Offline Rc109a

• Administrator
  • Do stupid things, win stupid prizes...
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:32:46 PM »
 If we have enough interested people I donít see any reason why we couldnít do a shad event. Big thing as last time thereís only four people that wanted to participate.    I know the board talked about this and it was brought up. I will talk to some other members and see what they think and maybe set up a poll on the Facebook page and see what kind of interest we have.

As far as seven cities goes and Facebook I donít think they have the job. Thereís a lot of people that donít like to go on there. I think thereís plenty a room for both Facebook pages. Our biggest issue right now is a lot of people donít know about the new page.  The numbers increase every day and Iím sure it will pick up as more find out.
TKAA Membership

Offline neofite

• Paid Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »
I just won't do the book of faces.    Oh well, was fun while it lasted.

Offline JamminJoeyB

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 03:09:59 PM »
Iím with Neo on this. FB shares too much. I may visit the page, but posting any useful information I feel that give FB more opportunities to market to me.  I only have a FB account so I can keep abreast of family info and I havenít posted anything there in 10 years. I consider it read only.

I will say this much, this site has been such a resource to me learning kayak fishing.  I love to fish, but I travel often for work and donít usually have time to do tournaments or other activities that I have seen the club doing.

My only suggestion is to keep the safety meetings going. And the thread on safety and cold water fishing are invaluable to not just Virginia, but I have never seen anything like that posted on any other kayak fishing site. You may think it would be common sense,  but as they say common sense is not common.

Sad to see such a resource go, but I understand. Without the right people to support the running of a web site it can be tough. And paying for it can b big dollars.

Offline Ryan(va)

• Paid Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 08:14:20 PM »
I do not have a Face Book account either. Face Book causes way to much drama and I do not want to be marketed by Face Book.
2019 Solo Skiff - Sea Foam
2018 Old Town Predator PDL - Black Cherry
2016 Native WaterCraft Ultimate 12 - Hidden Oak
2016 Tarpon 100 - Bluegrass

"Sponsored by ME"

Offline AmyAngel

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »
WE are listening to all your comments and will discuss at next Board meeting.
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Bonafide SS107
TKAA Club President
2018 Charity Tournament Director of Marketing
Licensed Realtor in Virginia

* Recent Posts

Re: Not 🌮Tuesday just hot Tuesday by splatter96
[Yesterday at 07:45:25 PM]

Re: Not 🌮Tuesday just hot Tuesday by neofite
[Yesterday at 05:28:31 PM]

Not 🌮Tuesday just hot Tuesday by splatter96
[Yesterday at 10:35:10 AM]

Re: Two fer by splatter96
[Yesterday at 10:33:50 AM]

Re: Wilderness systems thresher 140. 800$ by harmonja12
[Yesterday at 09:06:21 AM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.