Author Topic: Black Gut and Tecumseh  (Read 431 times)

Offline FlyingAnchor

Black Gut and Tecumseh
« on: January 21, 2019, 12:04:23 PM »
Well, this weather has me cleaning, fixing gear and prepping for future trips. Was digging around on google earth, and looking at imagery of both the deep borrow pits attached to Tecumseh, and a body of water just south of it called black gut.

Anyone fish either of them and willing to offer some intel? It looks like access to the borrow pits is via a canal from Tecumseh. Water in there is supposed to be deep, and looks clear. Might be an interesting spot when it warms up a bit. Black gut looks nearly impossible to get to, but where there's a will there has to be a way. Any help is appreciated, and if anyone wants to join on an exploratory journey when it warms up and the wind dies down, let me know!

Offline Jwgosail

Re: Black Gut and Tecumseh
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:46:54 PM »
I have fished the deep burrow pits and have caught some decent fish (Bass and Crappie) in the spring. I have always known it as Crystal Lake. You will see plenty of snakes on your way in and while your are fishing there. To get there, paddle or pedal down the canal and there will be a gap on the left near the end of the canal for you to go through. If the water is low you might have to get out and pull your kayak through depending on your kayak. Most of the time your can easily just paddle through. As for black gut, I have never fished it. Hope this helps.

Offline Bill Hutt

• Paid Member
  • Yak Bassin!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »
I go there a couple times a year. The canal access that's in from Sand Bridge Road is "strewn" w/fallen tree's and brush.  You will work hard to get yourself to fishable water. The last time I paddled that canal, I had to portage my yak over several fallen trees including one blocking the water in the ditch (no way around it).  I like fishing it early and late in the season as the entire water is shallow w/lots of Lillys & weeds (don't take a yak w/any underwater drive systems).  Good luck!

Keep castin!
Bill Hutt "Jabba"
Hobie PA12
Native Ultimate 14.5
Native Manta Ray 11

Offline Bill Hutt

• Paid Member
  • Yak Bassin!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 03:45:44 PM »
I fell into one of my old Navy test taking traps (RTFQ!!!) - bonus points if anyone can figure out that acronym :). I didn't read your post carefully and consequently responded to a your question incorrectly.

I've never tried the canal access from Tecumseh to Black Gut.  I've fished both those areas and didn't think the juice was worth the squeeze (i.e. I didn't think that was a viable access canal). I would be interested if it was a viable alternate access to BG.  Good luck!

Keep castin!
Bill Hutt "Jabba"
Hobie PA12
Native Ultimate 14.5
Native Manta Ray 11

Offline neofite

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »
"Reading comprehension" WRT Questions!

My son just reconed Black gut and he wasn't impressed.  Juice/Squeeze indeed.

Crystal was good to me on first few visits, but I have found better quality and numbers staying in Tecumseh main so prefer that.
 Crystal (or the burrow pit) is a beautiful spot and on a hot day, nice to wade around on the submerged center island.  Huge chain picks in there.  Kid got two back to back citations and I think it was spring time: 28 inch and a 25 inch.  Big Gar, Sunfish, bass, catfish, crappie and perch, and I even had a bowfin grab my lure, but he threw it.  Kid also caught a Striper in there!

Offline FlyingAnchor

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 11:32:36 AM »
Nice! Thanks for the all the replies. I was hoping the deeper clear water in Crystal Lake would hold some larger sunfish and/or crappie, and perhaps even some yellow perch. Every year right about now I start to get an itch for big panfish, and haven't found a really reliable spot around here. Crappie can be real nice and the Norfolk lakes, but it seems most sunfish are stunted.

* Recent Posts

Re: Bedding bass by splatter96
[Yesterday at 09:16:08 PM]

Re: Bedding bass by neofite
[Yesterday at 04:37:16 PM]

Re: Rudee by neofite
[Yesterday at 04:36:00 PM]

HRBT REPORT by splatter96
[Yesterday at 10:09:15 AM]

Bedding bass by splatter96
[Yesterday at 10:02:20 AM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.