Author Topic: fish preparation....  (Read 41688 times)

Offline snakehunter

fish preparation....
« on: July 27, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
do any of you soak your wild caught fish in any special solution, prior to cooking or freezing?  Ive always just soaked in fresh cold water in the refrig for a day

Offline Fishing4squidduck

Re: fish preparation....
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
you soak it for a day before freezing or just before cooking? i always take it straight from the cutting board to the freezer or to the pan.

Offline Wine Maker

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »
If I am going to freeze them I make sure the are in water so no air can touch them. That prevents freezer burn.

Offline cholbach

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »
What I have been doing lately with the Pups and Striper is bleeding them out right after I catch them. If I am going to eat them that night or the next day, I do not do anything more than clean them as soon as I get home. Otherwise I vacuum seal them and throw them in the freezer. Just did fish taco's last night with a couple Reds I caught last year and they tasted awesome.

Offline SSN-664

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »
I have to agree with cholbach. Anything that goes into my freezer gets vacuum sealed.
Native Ultimate 12
Native Slayer 14.5
Suffolk, VA

Offline JohnE

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »
I have been doing the same method as Wine Maker for years. Put fillets in ziplocks with water and squeeze air out. Works great if you don't have a vacuum sealer. Vacuum sealing is also great, but i have to rinse the gasket on mine every few bags to get it to work.
2015 Hobie Outback

Offline Simple Man

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »
My fish prep depends on several factors:

1. Fillet board to cooking same day - I fillet and skin ALL the fish I catch and eat or serve. Skinned fillets go into a salty water bath(tupperwear or freezer bag) in the refrigerator.

2. If it is a typically fishy flavored fillet(Bluefish - remove bloodline, Stripper, swordfish, Tog) I place them in a BUTTERMILK BATH. If being cooked that day/night, they are refrigerated until time to cook prep. *** If freezing for another day, I still soak them overnight in the BUTTERMILK bath. My grandmother of 5 kids and 21 grandchildren, provided that tip, 40 years ago. It somehow pulls out the fishy/gamey flavor in fish and game like squirrel, rabbit and deer(deep red meats).

3. Anything being kept for a later meal is filleted and skinned and placed in a zipped freezer bag, with water from a bottle(fewer additives). The bag is pre-labled with a "Sharpie" with the date and type(s) of fish caught.

4. To prep to eat after freezing, I place the frozen bags in a large plastic bowl, in a deep sink and run luke-warm water over the bags, allowing the water to run down the drain. Don't use hot water...don't let the fish soak in still water and don't use metal bowls or pots. As water is running, rotate the bags so that water does not run direct over the same bag, continuously.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:02:06 PM by Simple Man »

Offline johng

• Paid Member
  • "Have yak will travel"
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 03:51:05 PM »
if you do not have a vac sealer go get one!! last year my freezer died. upon removing the the frozen food I found a tuna steak that have been hiding in there for 3 1/2 years...quickly plopped that baby on the grill, you could not tell it had been in there for that long!!
Well worth the money!! just be sure the seal at both ends is good!!
Keep Calm Keep Casting KCKC

Offline JohnE

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 06:44:27 PM »
Vacuum sealers are cool, but the water bag trick works extremely well also. I have a vacuum sealer, but I tend to do the water bags. All my tog fillets lately that I did not eat right away went in the freezer with the ice block method.
2015 Hobie Outback

Offline NubesaTales

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:56:43 PM »
I have to agree with cholbach. Anything that goes into my freezer gets vacuum sealed.

For me, this is the best advice, or to say the least, it works for me.

* Recent Posts

What is going on? by neofite
[Yesterday at 09:55:52 PM]

Re: Fresh Water Fishing Tournament April 27 by sb220
[December 12, 2018, 08:54:00 PM]

Re: Fresh Water Fishing Tournament April 27 by neofite
[December 11, 2018, 10:15:28 PM]

Fresh Water Fishing Tournament April 27 by Rc109a
[December 11, 2018, 02:02:08 PM]

Fishing CBBT alone for togs. Dec 5, 2018 for tog by ComeOnFish
[December 10, 2018, 11:14:00 PM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.