Author Topic: Lessons learned (for all you new members).....  (Read 12589 times)

Offline Hanover_Yakker

• Paid Member
    • Froggin' For Bass and Other Kayak Adventures
Lessons learned (for all you new members).....
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:41:56 AM »
First off, for all the new members let me welcome you to TKAA!  I've been absent from the forums now for a self-imposed time period.  This forum is an awesome place for sharing, learning and fellowship.  With that said, I feel compelled to share something from my own personal experience that may help you avoid making the same mistakes I did.

I learned the hard way that participation on the forums does not equate to knowledge and experience.  The only source of personal knowledge and experience is actual seat time and time on the water.  As a forum participant, you should only convey information from what you have actually experienced firsthand.  If the information you are sharing is something that someone else told you or did, then acknowledge that or better yet, don't share your opinion.

When I first started, I wanted to participate in every topic possible to try and learn as much as I could.  It was exciting at first and the folks here welcomed me with open arms and invitations to join them on the water.  As the months passed, I noticed those interactions and invitations dwindled quickly.  I didn't think much of it at first, but I started to notice I was getting specifically excluded.

Case in point, I asked a fellow forum member via PM if they were interested in hitting the salt for an outing on my day off.  I received a polite decline citing personal obligations with family.  A few hours later, I saw where that person had posted up some photos of fish that they had caught with other forum members.

At first, my gut reaction was I was lied to, but it wasn't until last year that another close friend gave me the reason and I can say honestly it was the shock of my life - people were put off by my presence (both in person and on the forums).  I had let my interactions and limited experience get the best of me and it went to my head.  I was guilty of sharing expertise and how-to's for things that I had limited knowledge or no experience with.  This included performance characteristics of hulls, fishing tips, lures and rod/reel selection.

I was first emailed explaining the situation and then I made the choice and called the individual on the phone.  It was only then that I was presented with examples of what others had spoken about regarding me as well as the individuals that I had pushed away.  Once it was laid out in front of me, I had a choice to make.  Either change my behavior and actions and make amends with the handful of kayak anglers I had offended or ignore the comments and go about my life.  There wasn't a moments hesitation on my part.  I reached out to all of those individuals and a few others I could recall that I may have offended and apologized to them.

Did things change overnight because of my acknowledgement?  Absolutely not, in fact to this day, I am still proving myself as a changed person.  As a result, I ended up pushing away the very people I respected the most and wanted acceptance from.  No one likes to fish alone all the time, well for two years straight, that's all I have been able to do, because of my own ego.  I'm not looking for your sympathy or acceptance in disclosing this to you.  I'm merely trying to help you avoid the pitfalls that I did.

In short, here are some basic rules I now follow......

1) Silence is golden - be seen not heard
2) Time on the water is the only real knowledge and experience
3) Getting skunked is not an accident - go back and do more homework
4) If you have questions, try PMs first but only after you have been out and tried a few times.
5) Etiquette - the forum is not the place to air your gripes and dirty laundry
6) Patience - learn one technique at a time
7) Listen & Learn - attend several clinics (not just kayak based)
8) Focus - one species until you can target and land quality fish regularly
9) Fish reports - if you didn't catch anything, say it - no excuses.
10) Fish pics - I no longer post any pics unless it is of a quality fish.
11) Self mastery - know your own self and waters first
12) Respect is earned - you have to give it to receive it.

I hope you find this post helpful.  Again, welcome to the club!

Now get out there safely and start catching quality fish.  We can talk about it later!

Offline Rc109a

• Administrator
  • Do stupid things, win stupid prizes...
Re: Lessons learned (for all you new members).....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »
Those are not only good points to be taken by members on this forum, but for life in general.  It is easy for people to brag about what they think they know, but harder for them to listen to what they don't. 

If you ever fish up my way, give me a yell. I am always looking for others to fish with.  If I don't like you it is easy to paddle away and not hear your voice...lol   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
TKAA Membership

Offline Patrick Harrington

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »
 Good information and perspective Chuck.
Go Monarchs !!!!!!

Offline A Reel CoolChick

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:58:49 AM »
Wow!

Good post!

Offline PhillyJoe

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »

Chuck,

Excellent post about lessons learned and the absolute best perspective on this topic I've read in a long long time! Much respect dude, much respect!

Joe
Joe Underwood

Offline vb_dude

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
Amen.

Offline Colorado Native

• coastalkayakfishing
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
Chuck,
This was awesome.  This is one of the many reasons I am proud to call you a friend!
William Ragulsky
Hurricane Kayaks, Werner Paddles,
Astral Buoyancy, Columbia Sportswear,
Power Team Lures, and Egret Baits
Pro Staff
HOOK 1 Crew

www.alloutkayakfishing.com
http://coastalkayakfishing.blogspot.com/

Offline hobie1canobie

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 03:11:02 PM »
Well spoken sir. Things were getting kinda "chippy" on a few recent threads here.
2012 PA
2013 Revolution
2016 Outback LE #298
Native Ultimate 12

Offline RobChoi

• Paid Member
  • I like my kayaks dirty
    • http://www.angling-addict.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 05:06:43 PM »
It takes a lot of character to not get angry at the people who didn't want to interact with you and also to share your self reflection publicly.  Much respect my friend.  I know all of us believe you that you were just trying to help, and that was a noble thing.  But I also believe that you made the right call to let your actions speak for you. 

We all have a different path and journey in this sport with interesting stories to tell.  I'm liking yours more and more.

Offline FlyFINatic

• Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14
    • Peeling Drag Extreme Fishing
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »
Well said Chuck,

I think all of this cold weather had gotten the best of a lot of us this year and needless to say some of the recent threads got a little heated! Cool points too, everyone can take something from your post no doubt.  You got my number, hit me up if you wanna do some fishing.

Tight Lines Everybody,
Grant Alvis
Hobie Fishing Team 2015
If it swims, I want to catch it!
FishHardorStayHome.com

Offline AndyMedic

• Paid Member
    • East Coast Paddler
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 08:16:59 PM »
post of the year
Andy Backowski
Wildy Midnight Thresher 155

Offline kcussick

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 11:15:47 PM »
Hannover, if you were around ten years ago, you would have been right in the middle of the problem solving club. You should of seen some of the lights we were using back then. I remember Chad laughing that my light was above my head connected to a 3 ft. piece of 1/2' pvc. I figured the other bases were too short and this way I could be seen 360 degrees. Now look at them(No, I'm not claiming that invention).
My point is, why can't others do the same, figure it out, make opinions without the yak police shutting them down. May I get the list of the professionals, the elite professionals, is there a institution that I need to apply for and pay a fee for certified testing?
You want to join the club? Sure, shut up and sit down.
Unless things have changed, the club is open to all who follow the rules, they should not be harassed. Yes, I'm talking about that Trophy dude. He was a helpful fool and didnt have any evil intent. maybe someone should have taken him out and steered him on the right path, used his energy wisely.
Im not as active as I was in the past, maybe I don't know the whole story, but looking from the outside, It was embarrassing.

Offline fshn_brb

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 12:05:09 AM »
Well said Chuck!  Self awareness is a magical thing that not many people ever get (myself included). Having the courage to own up to your past mistakes and the wisdom to share that experience for the benefit of others is admirable. Well done.  My fishing time is limited and sometimes last minute, but I'll fish with Ya anytime if you'll have me. I know I'm a train wreck on the water so I understand if not. ;).
TKAA President 2017
Wilderness Systems Ride135
Wilderness Systems Commander 120

Offline surfishn dave

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 01:30:15 AM »
Chuck,
This was awesome.  This is one of the many reasons I am proud to call you a friend!

I'm going to follow with what Billy said.

Thanks for all you've done for me Chuck, it's not forgotten.

Offline forrest

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
Ken Cussick....Ken Cussick......nope, never heard of him.  :D
Forrest

* Recent Posts

Windy by neofite
[Today at 07:28:26 PM]

Re: 2018 TKAA Event Schedule! by Bill Hutt
[Today at 06:41:30 PM]

Re: 2018 TKAA Event Schedule! by AmyAngel
[Today at 03:44:42 PM]

Re: 2018 TKAA Event Schedule! by neofite
[Today at 03:32:42 PM]

Shapely by neofite
[Yesterday at 08:28:56 PM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.