Author Topic: minnow buckets  (Read 2881 times)

Offline indiginous

minnow buckets
« on: September 15, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »
So i just started using a cast net for bait and lost a bunch of minnows to what i believe was warm water... so im wondering what do you guys like to keep your live mullet/ mudminnows in? im trying to decide between an aerator and lid or a frabill toss over the side of the yak bucket... my main concern is on the toss over the side type how many minnows will it typically hold (finger mullet) but thanks in advance for any input
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

Offline StuttsCreek

• Paid Member
Re: minnow buckets
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »
 Check out bait tubes on youtube ;D
Go Monarchs !!!!!!

Offline Gatman

• Paid Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:46:33 AM »
I use a bait bucket
Frabill Flow Troll Bait Container, 6-Quart, Yellow/Whit

http://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Troll-Container-6-Quart-Yellow/dp/B000EYYPPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442406398&sr=8-1&keywords=bait+bucket

20-30ish bait fish, toss it in the water and let float.
Qapla'!
Hobie PA 12' |  Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL | Ocean Kayak Frenzy |
Clear Blue Hawaii Hanauma II

Offline Rc109a

• TKAA BOARD STAFF
  • Do stupid things, win stupid prizes...
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 09:25:01 AM »
I made a bait tube.  They are great and tows behind me like a torpedo with almost no resistance.  I don't loose any bait anymore like I did with other systems.  It can be as large or small as you desire. When  went to Florida it kept my shrimp all alive unlike the bait bucket in which I lost several a trip.  Mine is really simple and only uses 4" PVC, two PVC storm drains, bungee cord, 5050 cord, and a few screws.

The only issue is when you pull it out of the water.  You need someplace to keep the bait. since the water will not be self contained.  It can be as large or small as you desire.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:28:22 AM by Rc109a »
TKAA Membership

Offline mrcheeky

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 07:38:04 PM »
My dad and I purchased these and they work really well. Can't feel them back there and they are design to sink as you paddle and then float up when you stop. It never has to leave the water except to get another bait.The lid could use a little better design, but other than that it's perfect.

http://www.torpedobaitbuckets.com/
Native Slayer 14.5
Native Slayer  Propel 13

Offline fshn_brb

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 07:56:37 AM »
It also somewhat depends on the type of bait you are catching.  Gudgeons seem to stay alive the longest with non-aerated water and warmth.  Mullet will stay alive but if they are crowded in the bucket they will die off quicker.  Bunker seems to die almost as soon as you bring it out of the water.  For salt water I use a frabill (SP?) that I tie off to my yak and keep in the water.  If I am in Freshwater, I use a 5 gallon bucket with a bubble box and have had good luck with that.  However you have to keep the water cool in hot weather which I do by just periodically throwing some ice in the water. 
TKAA President 2017
Wilderness Systems Ride135
Wilderness Systems Commander 120

Offline StuttsCreek

• Paid Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 09:38:28 PM »
 Went for trip the other day and left the Frabill behind. Used a big cup from Hardees to tote a few Killifish around. Thought I would like a low profile bucket inside the yak that I could refill easily with water. I had a used 30 cup Maxwell House coffee container, cleaned it and drilled holes in the top and around the sides with a 1/4" bit. Ran some para cord thru it to tie off to the yak. Used it today and kept a dozen or so Killifish alive four hours, just have to refresh the water and throw it over when you are on the stake out pole.
Go Monarchs !!!!!!

* Recent Posts

Re: Early bird bite by neofite
[Yesterday at 09:30:51 PM]

Early bird bite by splatter96
[Yesterday at 08:44:06 PM]

Re: Day late.... by GlendaKD
[Yesterday at 04:27:17 PM]

Re: Length restrictions by Rc109a
[Yesterday at 04:07:59 PM]

Day late.... by neofite
[Yesterday at 02:50:02 PM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?