Author Topic: Need some help please  (Read 3590 times)

Offline DrumRunner58

Need some help please
« on: October 01, 2015, 10:11:50 PM »
So I'm new to kayak fishing the Chesapeake Bay, and until my kayak gets down here from Pennsylvania I'm stuck just sticking up on tackle and building rigs. Everyone talks about soft baits but nothing specific, what brands, colors, or what do you use. I bought some white and chartreuse 4" paddle tails, also some 6" Hogy Skinny's in white, and some natural colored DOA CAL soft baits, along with 1/4oz, 1/2oz and 3/4oz white jig heads. I also got some 1oz buck tails in different colors, and I read people talking about trying those new Savage Gear crab lures so I picked a few of them up. I'm trying to put together 4 or 5 boxes of tackle so I know I'm ready for anything, depending on the time of year. I've been tying rigs for Tog and Sheepshead, as well as Snelling hooks for drum and striper when I'm gonna be using live or cut bait. Question about that though. I normally crimp my rigs for surf fishing, but I don't hear many people on here talking about crimping why is that? Any direction you can point me in as far as rigs, or hard or soft baits would be appreciated. The more specific the better as I've been reading all these forums and I'm lost trying to find brands. Thank you everyone.

Offline DrumRunner58

Re: Need some help please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »
Bump, anyone? Other than Gulp what do y'all use? Also, getting ready to place a very large order for hand made Bucktails. Very excited.

Offline AndyMedic

• East Coast Paddler
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
Crimping adds one more piece of hardware that the fish might see.  Cant beat a good knot on a flouro leader.  Curly tail grubs are popular around here.  Try to match the bait in the water around where you are fishing
Andy Backowski
Wildy Midnight Thresher 155

Offline The Season

• Paid Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
Would get your rigs right for the fish your going to be targeting when you get your yak. With the rock fish moving in i use red fish magics or  xraps. For the togs and sheep head you cant beat crab so you got the right idea. summer species its gulp or live bait depends on the area. Wouldn't suggest crimping good old fluorocarbon leader dose the job     
Ocean Trident 13
Wilderness Ride 135

Offline rwh

• Paid Member
  • U.S. Army Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:27:39 PM »
If not using Gulps,  I like the 6 inch Saltwater Assassin sea shad & Zoom Super Swimmin Fluke on a jig head.  For fishing dock and pier lights, I like the floating Yo Zuri Crystal minnow.  Redfish magics are great on the flats & grassbeds, but like Andy said, most of the time, a simple white curly tail grub on a jig head is all you need.
2013 WS Ride 135 sand
2015 WS Ride 115 mango

Offline DrumRunner58

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the detailed response guys. I appreciate it!

Offline RobChoi

• I like my kayaks dirty
    • http://www.angling-addict.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 04:21:42 PM »
It really depends on what species I'm after, what time of year, what time of day, water clarity etc.  Like Andy says, the classic little white or chartreuse grub works for a lot of things a lot of times.  Although, I haven't targeted them much this year, for trout and pups I've been enjoying the Z-man products.  The Diesel Minnow is my favorite at the moment.  The hook slot in the belly is meant for weedless hooks but it's also a great spot to squeeze in some ProCure.

As far as crimping goes, the only time I do that is when I'm dealing with 80lb or higher leader since they are a pain to tie knot with.  But the vast majority of the things I target don't need that type of leader. 

Offline Mastermis

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 03:27:32 AM »
This is a very delicate issue in discussing this issue.

Offline West Finley Kayaker

• Paid Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 03:38:24 PM »
A month ago my brother and I spent a day on the Eastern Shore, on a charter. Bait of choice was simple. White DOA 4'' PADDLE TAIL on a 1/2oz chartreuse jig. We caught speckled trout, stripers, and blues. Total for the day was near 50-60 fish. 2 keeper stripers, 3 blues, 4 speckled trout. Stripers where 30'' and 23'' I suggest that you don't over think your tackle.   
Vibe Seaghost 130

Offline Arrow

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 10:30:09 PM »
New to area for great background and some very spcific fishing info i recommend pick up a copy of Kayak Kevin Fishing the Chesapeake Bay 2. He put out several dvds on fishing the bay and all are informative but i think 2 is the best. 2 focus is on summer species. 3 on winter species. Winter is hard with cold temps. April thru November much more enjoyable.

* Recent Posts

What is going on? by neofite
[Yesterday at 09:55:52 PM]

Re: Fresh Water Fishing Tournament April 27 by sb220
[December 12, 2018, 08:54:00 PM]

Re: Fresh Water Fishing Tournament April 27 by neofite
[December 11, 2018, 10:15:28 PM]

Fresh Water Fishing Tournament April 27 by Rc109a
[December 11, 2018, 02:02:08 PM]

Fishing CBBT alone for togs. Dec 5, 2018 for tog by ComeOnFish
[December 10, 2018, 11:14:00 PM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.