Author Topic: Stuffed flounder  (Read 11073 times)

Offline seabeefisherman

• Paid Member
Stuffed flounder
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:36:09 AM »
I may be a diehard fisherman, but I know my way around the kitchen also  ;) I've seen lots of recipes for stuffed flounder and a large number of the ones I've seen consist of making a crab stuffing and making a roulade with just the fillets. I prefer to use the whole flounder. The way I prepare the fish takes a bit of practice, but is not too difficult. I take off the head just at the collar bone and remove the innards. I run my fillet knife down the lateral line just like I was going to fillet the flounder on the spine. Then I run the knife down the ribs, but DO NOT got through the edge fins. Do this for both top fillets then insert your fillet knife under the ribs and repeat the same process. Now there is a pocket under the ribs the lets you fit kitchen scissors in perfectly. Run down each edge on the ribs cutting as close to but not trough the fins and when you get to the tale just break the spine and ribs out. You now have a nearly boneless flounder ready for stuffing. Once its cooked the fins peel away from the fish and there are no bones to deal with. For the stuffing I use lump crab meat, bread crumbs and shrimp. I only use shrimp for mine because I make my shrimp stock from boiling the heads and shells instead of buying it ready made. I sauté diced yellow onion, celery and fresh minced garlic in a bit of olive oil just until onions are caramelized then I add in the bread crumbs, crab meat, shrimp and shrimp stock. To make my shrimp stock I use 2 lbs of shrimp and I use bay leaves peppercorns sea salt and old bay. I put it all in a sauce pan with the heads and shells and boil it for about 20 minutes. strain out all of the big stuff and put it in the fridge to chill. The trick with the stuffing is add small amounts of stock until you get the right consistency. Not too wet not too dry. Stuff the flounder and close the top fillets over the stuffing. I put a few small pads of butter on top of the fish and then I bake it at about 350 for 30 minutes or until the fish is fully cooked.     if you try this method I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Good luck     

Offline seabeefisherman

• Paid Member
Re: Stuffed flounder
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
this my help visualize how I do my flounder. it's a bit long, but will help you get the idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE_92zWVcjw

Offline NubesaTales

Re: Stuffed flounder
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 10:53:25 PM »
I'm glad I came across this. Flounder is my wife's favorite. :)

* Recent Posts

Re: Gobble Gobble by GlendaKD
[Today at 01:44:25 AM]

Re: Gobble Gobble by Frankie J
[Yesterday at 11:54:25 PM]

Re: Rudee 11/24 - Leftovers... by Hash78
[Yesterday at 11:41:08 PM]

Rudee 11/24 - Leftovers... by ARACHNIDS
[Yesterday at 07:43:20 PM]

Re: Gobble Gobble by neofite
[Yesterday at 06:41:45 PM]

Recent Images

No attachments were found.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?